"An Easter favorite that my Grandmother made every year and I recreated. Three layers with coconut frosting and a little bird’s nest on the top for a fun spring cake! Use your choice of yellow or white cake mix."
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans.
- Stir cake mix, 1 cup water, vegetable oil, eggs, and 1 teaspoon coconut extract together in a bowl until moistened; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cakes are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans to finish cooling on racks, at least 30 minutes.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on low in a large bowl until creamy and smooth. Beat in 2 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract.
- Beat 1 cup confectioners' sugar into butter mixture until thoroughly combined; beat in 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Continue to beat in confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, alternating with 1 tablespoon cream, until the confectioners' sugar and cream have been incorporated and the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- With a long serrated knife, level the tops of the 3 cakes. Place 1 cake onto a serving platter; frost the top of the cake with about 1/4 of the frosting. Sprinkle with about 1/3 cup flaked coconut.
- Place second cake layer on top of the first, and frost and sprinkle with coconut as before. Place third layer on top of the second; frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Lightly press 1/3 cup of coconut evenly into sides of cake.
- Place 1 cup of remaining coconut into a resealable plastic bag, add 1/2 teaspoon water and the green food coloring, and seal bag. Shake and press bag to mix food coloring with coconut, tinting it light green. Remove to paper towel to dry.
- Spread the green coconut over the top of the cake; place colored jelly beans in the middle and press lightly to secure.
Per Serving: 727 calories;33.9 g fat;104.1 g carbohydrates;4.2 g protein;98 mg cholesterol;449 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article