We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
A delicious and impressive centre piece, which can be enjoyed by all guests, has been devised by Welsh meat-free star and cookbook author Gaz Oakley.
Gaz Oakley’s braised chestnut and grain Wellington with a charred red pepper dressing and caramelised red onion recipe
Cooking times: 90 minutes
- 1 Leek, chopped roughly
- 4 Cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1 Red Pepper, deseeded
- 10 Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 Carrots, peeled & chopped roughly
- 1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 tbs Tomato Puree
- 1 tbs Dried Sage
- 1 tbs Dried Rosemary
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2tbs Plain Flour or GF Flour
- 1/2 cup/125ml Vegan Friendly Red Wine
- 3/4 cup/195ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbs Soy Sauce
- 1 tbs Miso Paste
- 2 250g Pouches of Merchant Gourmet Spiced Grains & Chestnut
- 1 tbs Cranberry sauce
- 1 Roll Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
- 1/4 cup/30g Plain Flour
- 1/4 cup/60ml Milk
- 4 tbs Maple
- 4 tbs Oil
- Pinch Sea Salt
Red Pepper Dressing
- 2 cups/350g Roasted Red Peppers, from a jar, drained
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tbs Tahini
- 1 tsp Dried Sage
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
Caramelised Red Onion
- 2 tbs Rapeseed oil or water
- 3 Red Onions, peeled, halved & sliced fine
- 4 tbs Coconut Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 3 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- Pinch Sea Salt & Pepper
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Crispy Sage Leaves
- Vegan Feta (optional)
- Pistachio Nuts
- Pomegranate Seeds
‘Mouth-watering’: Ingenius Bisto rub results in ‘perfect roast chicken’ [RECIPE]
Ultimate Christmas sandwich recipe – ‘all the flavours of Christmas’ [EXPERT]
Puff pastry mince pie recipe: Easy Christmas treat [HOW TO]
1. First up make the filling (which I usually make the day before serving). Add the leek, garlic, red pepper, carrots & mushrooms to a food processor & blitz until they’re chopped small. Pre heat a large saucepan over a medium heat & add the oil. When it’s hot add the leek mix to the pan & sauté for 3 minutes or until golden.
2. Stir in the tomato puree, sage, rosemary, bay leaf, salt & pepper then add the flour. Cook the flour out by stirring constantly for about a minute.
3. Then de-glaze the pan with the red wine & vegetable stock. When the liquid comes to a simmer add the merchant gourmet chestnuts & grains, soy sauce, miso paste & cranberry. Let the mix bubble away for 10-15 minutes or until the liquid has really thickened up, then transfer the mixture to a container to cool completely.
4. The day of serving, add all the glaze ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together. Dust your surface with flour & roll out your pastry approximately 30cm x 30cm then cut it in half.
Bill Turnbull discusses his weight loss after switch to vegan diet
5. Making sure your filling is completely cool (ideally fridge cold) spoon the filling into the centre of one of the pastry rectangles, leaving a 3cm boarder around the filling. Brush the boarder with a little of the glaze then place the other pastry rectangle neatly on top. Seal the boarder together with your finger, then trim the edges to keep it neat. You can crimp the edges with a fork and use Christmas themed cutters with any off-cuts of pastry to top the wellington. Brush over a little glaze. Then set the wellington aside until you’re ready to cook it.
6. Meanwhile, add the red pepper dressing ingredients to a food processor and blitz until it forms a chunky paste. Set the dressing aside until serving.
7. To make the caramelised onions, in a heavy based saucepan over a medium add a touch of oil followed by the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring often until they start to soften & colour. Add the sugar, vinegar, seasoning & thyme. Stir well and turn the heat down very low. Cover the saucepan & allow the onions to caramelise for 15 minutes, stir/shake the pan every now & then.
8. To cook the wellington, place it onto the middle shelf in a pre heated oven set at 180 degrees C for 30 minutes. Apply extra glaze 25 minutes through cooking.
9. Serve your wellington with lots of dressing, caramelised onions, crispy sage, pomegranate seeds, pistachio nuts & vegan feta + all your Christmas garnishes.
Gaz Oakley in partnership with Merchant Gourmet
And if you are looking for the perfect side, chef and founder of SORTEDfood Ben Ebbrell disclosed his recipe for perfect roast potatoes.
He discussed the best potatoes to use, and the best fat to roast them in with Express.co.uk.
“Perfect roasties rely on tasty fat and potato variety,” he told readers.
“We roast King Edwards in plenty of duck fat for great-tasting, crispy potatoes.”
Source: Read Full Article