There are tonnes of variations and additions you can make to a classic flapjack recipe – including chocolate, currants, drizzle toppings and playing with spice flavourings. A classic flapjack recipe needs only four ingredients, and can be made in half an hour.
To make a basic flapjack recipe, you will need
- 250g of jumbo porridge oats
- 125g of butter
- 125g light brown sugar
- Golden syrup
- How to make ice lollies without a mould – and three delicious recipes
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Put 250g jumbo porridge oats, 125g butter, 125g light brown sugar and 2-3 tbsp golden syrup in a food processor and pulse until mixed, but be careful not to overmix otherwise the oats may lose their texture.
- Lightly grease a 20x20cm baking tin with butter and spoon in the mixture. Press into the corners with the back of a spoon so the mixture is flat and score into 12 squares.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until golden brown.
Place on a wire rack to cool and enjoy.
Use the recipe as above and add a coffee frosting for unique flapjacks.
- 75g butter
- 3 tbsp hot strong coffee or espresso
- 350g golden icing sugar
- 20 walnut halves, plus 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts
Melt the butter into the coffee, then stir into the icing sugar until smooth like buttercream icing.
- How to make hot cross buns – recipe to treat your family this Easter
Once the flapjacks have cooled to, spread over the icing.
Carefully space out your walnut halves, then scatter over the finely chopped walnuts to finish.
Leave until the icing is set and firm – you can pop in the fridge to speed up this up.
Use the same recipe as above, except add these to the mixture:
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 100g dark chocolate roughly chopped
For chocolate-dipped flapjacks: use melted milk or dark chocolate with some orange zest in a wide bowl, and dip the baked and cooled flapjacks in, then remove with a spoon and leave to set on a rack.
Lemon drizzle flapjacks
Make this delicious topping to drizzle over the top of your flapjacks, same as a lemon drizzle cake.
- 150g lemon curd
- 50g icing sugar
- ½ lemon, juiced
Only drizzle when the flapjacks are cooled, as otherwise the drizzle will not harden.
Source: Read Full Article