Photo by Alex Lau, Prop Styling by Kalen Kaminski, Food Styling by Rebecca Jurkevich
No shade to your standard church picnic slaw, but these days we’re more into this understated variety, with just crunchy vegetables, salt, a good squeeze to soften the veg, and a splash of seasoned rice vinegar for brightness.
- 4 servings
- 6 cups thinly shaved or sliced vegetables (such as cabbage, cucumbers, and/or radishes)
- 1/4 red or white onion, very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine vegetables and onion in a medium bowl; season generously with salt. Let sit until they start to release their water, 8–10 minutes, then begin to massage, gently at first so they don’t break, then harder as they begin to expel their liquid, until softened to about the texture of coleslaw. Pour off all excess liquid and add vinegar and oil; toss to coat. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Do Ahead: Slaw can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.
Source: Read Full Article