Got fresh apricots? Make this easy Apricot Chicken skillet dinner! It’s ready in under an hour and makes a great change from your usual weeknight chicken routine. (You can swap in dried apricots, too!)
Every year about this time we are inundated with fresh apricots from our neighbor’s tree. And every year I tell myself I’m going to make a chicken dish with them, but never get around to it.
Instead, we’ll make apricot jam, apricot cobbler, apricot tart, or just eat them straight.
Finally this year, we’ve experimented with apricot chicken and I love the result!
An Easy Skillet Dinner
This recipe is ready in under an hour and is made with just a few easy steps:
- Make the apricot sauce: Marinate the apricots with sugar and vinegar. Set aside a few cups for your finished dish, then puree the remaining apricots to make a simple sauce for the chicken.
- Cook the chicken: For this recipe, we cut the chicken into small bite-sized pieces so they cook quickly.
- Simmer the sauce with spices: This reduces and thickens the sauce, and gives the spices time to infuse the sauce with flavor.
- Bring it all together: Stir the chicken and reserved apricots into the sauce, let it warm up, and serve!
The additions of rosemary, Tabasco, and especially cinnamon really brighten up the flavors and make the dish more interesting than you would expect.
No Fresh Apricots? No Problem
If you don’t have fresh apricots, you can use a combo of dried pitted apricots and apricot jam. Chop up about a dozen dried apricots and add them, with a half cup of apricot jam, to the stock in step 4. (Skip steps 1 and 5.)
What to Serve with this Dish
We served it with rice, but it would also be excellent with egg noodles. Just scoop the rice or noodles onto your plate and top it with a scoop of the Apricot Chicken!
More Recipes with Apricots
- Roast Chicken with Apricot Glaze
- Lamb Stew with Almonds and Apricots
- Rosemary Duck with Apricots
- Couscous with Pistachios and Apricots
Source: Read Full Article