2 large aubergines, chopped into 2cm cubes
1 tbsp mild olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 red peppers, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp nonpareille capers, drained
250g pack pappardelle pasta
1. Bring a large pan of water to boil, tip in the chopped aubergine and place a saucer over to stop the aubergine floating to the top. Cook for 10 minutes until tender but holding its shape. Leave to drain in a colander.
2. Heat a sauté pan, add the olive oil, followed by the onion, cook until soft and golden, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add the peppers, and cook until softened. Add the drained aubergine, chopped tomatoes, stock and sugar.
4. Simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the vinegar and capers. Season and leave to cool.
5. Bring a large pan of water to boil, cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
6. Add the pasta to the sauce, toss to coat and serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano and fresh basil.
Source: Read Full Article