All the awesome flavors of a yummy chili dog in a family friendly casserole. Recipe adapted from: www.emilybites.com
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 hot dogs, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. each cumin, oregano, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. each salt, pepper, smoked paprika
- 1 can (7.5 oz.) refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits quartered
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the hot dog pieces and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they have browned. Then remove them from the pan to a seperate plate and cover it loosely with foil.
Add the peppers, onions and ground beef to the skillet. Cook until the beef is browned throughout and the peppers and onions have softened. Drain any fat, if needed. Then stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, hot dog pieces, seasonings, brown sugar and Worcestershire. Let it come to a simmer and preheat the oven in the meantime. Grease a 9×13″ baking pan and set it aside.
Let the chili mixture simmer for 10 minutes or so if you have the time (to better develop the flavors). Then pour the mix out into the prepared baking pan. Gently stir in the biscuit pieces and pop it in the oven for 25 minutes. After that, remove it and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Return it to the oven until the biscuit pieces are completely cooked through (mainly the pieces in the center). This really depends on your oven…it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes. Then serve.
Source: Read Full Article