This feature is not available with your current cookie settings.
You can update your privacy settings to enable this content.Please enable all cookies to use this feature.
- Prep 25 min
- Total1 hr5 min
One of our most popular and top-rated recipes of all time, this classic chicken pot pie recipe has a flaky, buttery crust, a creamy sauce and a hearty mix of chicken and vegetables. Plus, it’s super easy to make, which makes it a great recipe for beginner cooks and busy families alike.
box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
cup butter or margarine
cup chopped onion
cup all-purpose flour
cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1Heat oven to 425°F. Prepare pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie using 9-inch glass pie pan.
- 2In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
- 3Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- 4Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Make a foil collar (or pie crust shield) to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Place strips of foil to cover crust during the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.
- A standard 9-inch glass pie plate works best for this recipe.
- The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough you’re left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- To Make Chicken Filling Ahead: prepare as directed in recipe. Spoon into airtight container; cover. Refrigerate up to 1 day. To bake, pour filling into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
- To Freeze Chicken Filling: prepare as directed in recipe. Cool, uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes. Spoon mixture into 1-gallon freezer food storage plastic bag, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch at top of bag for expansion; seal. Freeze up to 1 month. To bake, thaw mixture overnight in refrigerator. Pour into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
More About This Recipe
- One of our most popular recipes of all time, this classic chicken pot pie recipe has all the goods: a flaky, buttery crust, a creamy sauce and a hearty mix of chicken and vegetables. Plus, it’s super easy to make, which makes it a great recipe for novice cooks and busy families alike. If chicken is a staple protein in your family and you love this chicken pot pie, just wait. We have so many more chicken recipes for you to try next!
Source: Read Full Article