Active time: 10 mins. Total time: 1 hour, 30 min.
In essence, this is our Best Basic Granola adjusted to work without an egg white and have a slightly earthy, moderately spiced taste. By chance, it also contains no animal products, so it’s vegan (depending on how you feel about certain nuts, particularly almond). In lieu of the egg white, this granola uses dark brown sugar to stick together and maintain a crunchy texture. Pressing the granola down into an even layer every time you stir the mixture will help it clump, as will waiting for the granola to cool completely once it’s out of the oven. Feel free to add in even more spices and tea powder to create a stronger flavor, and any other ingredients that can add texture, like chia seeds or dried berries.
- 3 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, or pistachios)
- 1/2cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup neutral flavored oil (such as vegetable oil or safflower oil)
- 1package toasted coconut chips (such as Dang or Bare)
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 275°F.
Stir together the oats, nuts, pepitas, spices, green tea powder, coconut chips, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller, separate bowl, whisk the oil, agave syrup, and brown sugar until evenly combined. Pour the agave mixture into the oat mixture and stir to coat evenly. Spread the mixture into an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake at 275°F, stirring (and spreading back into an even layer) every 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and toasted—about 1 hour, 15-20 minutes total. Allow granola to cool and crisp completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container.
Source: Read Full Article