Active Time: 25 MinsTotal Time40 Mins
Yield: Serves 8
Eggplant is an incredibly versatile vegetable and a good choice for meatless meals. In this cheesy Rollups recipe, eggplant stands in for a delicious substitute for pasta. Eggplants enjoy the same growing conditions as tomatoes, so try growing your own this year.
- 3ears fresh yellow corn, husked
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion (from 1 small onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 garlic cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2medium (1 lb. each) eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 ounce (1 1/2 cups) watercress, torn
How to Make It
Preheat a grill to medium-high (400°F to 450°F). Place corn on grate, and grill, covered, until tender and lightly charred, about 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Let cool 10 minutes. Cut corn kernels from cobs.
Place onion, almonds, garlic, smoked paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons each of the kosher salt and black pepper, and half of corn kernels (about 1 1/3 cups) in bowl of a food processor. In a separate bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. While drizzling olive oil mixture into corn mixture in processor, pulse until combined with a coarse texture, about 10 times. Set aside, and reserve remaining half of corn kernels.
Toss eggplant with remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place on grate, and grill, uncovered, in batches if needed, until grill marks appear and eggplant is soft, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Place 1 eggplant slice on each of 8 serving plates. Top with about 1 1/2 tablespoons romesco sauce, 1 tablespoon reserved corn kernels, and a few pieces of torn watercress. Repeat layers twice to make 8 layered stacks.
Source: Read Full Article